Monday, January 19, 2009

“And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.”

 

How fondly I recall these lines you probably can not perceive. They are a part of the poem by Robert Frost I had once studied at school. The poem has a soft corner for all that is important in life. And it definitely is good to be reminded of it every now and then. It has a fine balance between desire and duty. Though its not just this quality of the poem that makes it special to me.

 

The more important part of the story is that this poem was taught to me by a lady who lives no more. Though I didn’t know her much, nor did she know me the same, but somehow we tend to remember people when they leave. No extraordinarily special place for her in my heart; or any inclination for what she ever said or told, but a simple recurrence of memories when I remind myself that even to the last day of her life I didn’t do much but trouble her.

 

‘Daffodils’… that was the poem she taught me last when she left. I don’t know why do I still remember it? I don’t know if she was more than just a teacher. I don’t know if I reciprocated her efforts duly. What I do know is that I still remember her. I still remember that she was a true lady I knew. I still remember the gracefulness she showcased. And I also remember that I shed tears when she lived no more!

No comments: